Eczema is a name given to a set of skin troubles in which the skin becomes reddened and scratchy causing red splotches to appear. The main sign of eczema is dry skin and skin affected by eczema rapidly loses water through evaporation. This loss of water causes dryness. Dry skin causes itching and if a person scratches the skin then the rash becomes worse. Eczema mainly takes place in the skin behind the knees, inside the elbows or in the joints present in the legs.
How coconut oil can treat eczema?
Using virgin coconut oil is the best natural treatment for eczema. It helps in hydrating and moisturizing the dry and flaky skin.
Coconut oil helps in treating skin affected by eczema in the following ways:
- It lessens the inflammation of the skin.
- Helps in repairing and healing tissues.
- Supports the functioning of the immune system.
- The fatty acids present in the skin are utilized well and are prevented from getting oxidized.
- Coconut oil helps in softening of the skin and provides relief to dry and itchy skin.
- Coconut oil consists of medium-chain fatty acids which help in restoring spoilt skin by entering the cell structures in the connective tissues.
The medium-chain fatty acids present in coconut oil also help in the prevention of bacterial and fungal infections. There are bacteria which survive by feeding on the sebum of the skin and they break the triglycerides in coconut oil to fatty acids. The triglycerides thus become antimicrobials and kill all the bacteria, fungi and viruses.
If eczema is treated with steroids then there are side effects on the skin which cause the skin to become thin and thereby increase the susceptibility of the skin to skin infections. Drugs increase the toxic content in the body which causes other health problems.
Coconut oil, on the other hand, has no side effects, it is rich in vitamins, and is an excellent antiseptic.